Friday, May 8, 2009

Welcome to Wedding Season

In my previous entry, I alluded to the fact that I'm attending a wedding this weekend. Besides sharing laughs, drinks, and bouquet tosses with my friends, I can't wait for all the blog-fodder that will surely come my way. But I certainly don't want the days leading up to the celebration to be overshadowed by the big day itself. Naturally, I should address some of the insanity that has happened over the past few days.

There are few things that push the ol' stress meter to the brink quite as much as wedding planning. The months leading up to the ceremony are filled with dress fittings, food tastings, guest inviting, guest uninviting, bridal showers, bachelorette parties, flower arranging, and all the other little things that need a woman's (or a gay man's) touch. We've all heard about "bridezillas" and maybe a few "momzillas" of the bride. But everyone always seems to forget about that other "zilla": the "maidzilla" of honor.

In the case of the wedding I'm attending on Saturday, the maid of honor happens to be my best friend, Kelly. She has done a wonderful job taming her inner-zilla, but she has definitely been under a great deal of stress over the past few days. She has had to deal with every bridesmaid's worst nightmare. Yes. It's the dreaded "dress-zilla". 

Kelly has had her reservations about the dress from the start, and this week has confirmed her distaste for all things sage green and floor-length. After three fittings and five days of starvation, Kelly's dress still doesn't fit her exactly the way it should. She is going to look beautiful, regardless. But nothing brings out the "maidzilla" in someone like an ill-fitting dress. 

The stress of the dress came to a head last night when I dropped it off at Kelly's house for her to try on one last time. When I walked in the door, Kelly was working on a slideshow chronicling the lives of the bride and groom. She was hunched over her computer, feverishly clicking buttons, and drinking a glass of wine. It was obvious to me that the last thing she wanted to do was try on her dress. After ten minutes of pinching, tucking, sucking in, and zipping, we got Kelly into the dress... I won't go into the details of the conversation that followed, but Kelly wasn't feeling her most beautiful "maidzilla" self. 

Kelly's dress saga made me completely rethink two truths that I have believed in since puberty:

  1. Apparently, the trend of the terror-inducing bridesmaid's dress did not go out of style with the 90s, and,
  2. Everyone will reveal their inner-zilla, even if it's only to their best friend.
Some people just always seem to have it together. Especially those rare employed people who always say how much they love their jobs. But even if I think someone has it together, I know that that little "zilla" inside will claw its way out eventually. And after it rears its ugly head for awhile, it retreats back to its dark cave somewhere in that part of the brain between "celebrity gossip knowledge" and "clearance sale calculator". So, even though I've been feeling like the "unemployedzilla" for the past several months, I know that eventually, things will get back to normal. 

In the meantime, I will enjoy the fact that I can wear my dress of choice to the wedding tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment